Possible Credits (Maximum 8)
Sign up for a Facebook account , or set up a Google Plus account (5 credits)
Become a fan of at least 1 DPL Facebook page (3 credits)
What are Facebook/Google Plus?
Facebook is the largest social networking site in the world. The Facebook motto is "Facebook helps you connect and share with the people in your life." It allows people to post messages, pictures, videos, and links in a forum that friends and colleagues can see and comment on. In addition to personal pages, many organizations (including Denver Public Library) have active pages on Facebook.
Google Plus is a new (as of July 2011) social networking site that offers much of the same functionality as Facebook, and is still developing new features. It's yet to be seen how these two social networks will co-exist, but our customers will likely be on both of them.
Why do I care?
Most social networking features are based on the idea that there are people in your life, such as best friends, family, coworkers or new acquaintances that you would like to stay in touch and connect with. Members can share links, photos, notes and short status posts that reflect what they are reading, watching, thinking about or feeling. Members can join a group and get started in the discussions. In addition to personal Facebook pages, businesses (including libraries) are using Facebook to find new customers, build online communities of fans and collect demographic information.
How do I get credits?
- Set up your own Facebook page or Google Plus account if you don’t already have one.
- If Facebook, learn about Facebook’s privacy settings by reading A Guide to Privacy on Facebook.
- Set your privacy preferences.
- Add a friend or two. You can search by name for acquaintances or use the Friend Search.
- For extra credit (Facebook only - 3 credits), search for the Denver Public Library's Facebook page (or Fresh City Life, Western History, DPL Teens, or the Friends Foundation) and become a fan.